MEET OUR SENSEIS
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO BECOME A SENSEI AT SORTOR KARATE?
Although Sensei Brian teaches almost all classes/lessons at the dojo, we have other awesome instructors who teach various classes throughout each month. 100% of our instructors who teach any class have trained with us for years, and completed the following extensive, many-years-long screening and certification process:
1. Background Checks - Sensei Brian and Kristina (the school founders) and all of the adult instructors at the dojo (both volunteer and paid) have regular background checks done and kept on file in the dojo office.
2. The CDC’s “Heads Up” sports concussion prevention/treatment certification is required for all senseis.
3. The KIDS Center/Stewards of Children “Darkness to Light” child sexual abuse prevention certification is required for all adult senseis.
4. Completed our 30-hour internship: Prior to admittance into this exclusive internship program, senseis must be personally approved by Sensei Brian, and must have previously earned their blue “assistant instructor” uniform at the dojo. (Earning the blue uniform prior to entrance into the internship requires that they have 1. Trained at the dojo a minimum of 2 years, 2. Have passed a personality/behavioral screening by the dojo office, 3. Assist in a variety of classes, tests and workshops, 4. Showed impeccable, thorough knowledge of all lower belt curriculum, 5. Are caught up and dedicated to training their own belt level curriculum, 6. Having consistently demonstrated compassionate interpersonal skills, teaching ability, and communication skills.) Internship completion requires participants to teach supervised private lessons for free with a variety of students for a minimum of 30 total hours teaching time, being evaluated by the students after every lesson, and have had a minimum of 3 conferences with Sensei Brian to discuss teaching skills and the results of their student reviews.
5. Black Belt: Belt must be earned at Sortor Karate, not transferred from another school (red/brown belts are allowed to teach by special permission only, if they meet all other requirements, and they must have been trained entirely at Sortor Karate as well). Black belt at Sortor Karate indicates 6-9 years or more of martial arts training, red belt is about 5+ years, brown belt is about 3+ years. (Also click here to see more information about the dojo’s black belts and junior black belts.)
6. Age requirement: All instructors are adults, or responsible older teens who meet ALL of the requirements. Children of course are not permitted to teach.
OUR ASSISTANT INSTRUCTORS
The assistant instructors listed below all teach private lessons, assist in classes/tests/workshops, and are committed to giving back to the community the love they have for martial arts:
Sensei (which is just a Japanese word meaning “teacher” or literally “one who has gone before”) Brian Sortor is the owner and head instructor at Sortor Karate, teaching all workshops, rank tests and most classes and private lessons. Click here to read about him.
We also have a myriad other wonderful assistant senseis at the dojo - students of all ages, purple belt and higher, who you will see wearing blue assistant instructor uniforms. These students assist in rank tests, workshops and classes, and have worked very hard for a long time in order to earn their blue assistant sensei uniform. If you have any questions or need help at the dojo, you can always ask any sensei in a blue gi, and they will be able to help you.
If you would like a private lesson with one of our assistant senseis, or Sensei Brian, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541.385.4985 to schedule.